Well, I'm in a new city now.
I packed up a Budget truck and my car on Wednesday evening and left (not so bright and) EARLY on Thursday morning to head east to Newport News. We got here around 11am yesterday.
You may wonder why I am here, or you may not care but I will tell you anyways :) just in case you dont remember from a previous post. I will begin my LAST 3-month Fieldwork placement on Monday at an Inpatient Rehab facility here in Newport news. So, I will be 'working' full time, unpaid...actually I am paying to work here really. But yeah, that's why I am here.
I went to the clubhouse to 'check in' to my apartment yesterday while my mom drove the budget truck to my apartment. She quickly called and told me NOT to sign the lease for that apartment yet because there was a tag from the Sheriff's office on the door knob and a ton of junk on the patio. Clearly, I was confused. I told the lady in the leasing office about this and she called maintenance and they said there was no way the apt would be ready for me to move in yesterday. I was getting angry- you would too if you knew all the hassle they put me through to even get the apartment. So then she said she couldn't do anything about that until the manager got there...soo we waited around for a little while. LUCKILY there was another 2bd/2bathroom apartment open in the next building over that we could have. SOO I signed the lease for that one and we began to move our stuff in! Mom moved the huge moving truck in the grass close to the apartment and when it was time to move it back to the parking lot we realized it was stuck in the mud (they had recently had lots of rain here!)....soo then we had to have a tow truck come and pull the truck out of the mud- looking back its hilarious- yesterday, not so much. But we made it, and got everything moved in!!
We dropped the truck off and picked up mom's rental car and she and my cousin headed back to Roanoke.
That's when I had my little evening-long break down. Man was I a crybaby last night. I spent the whole evening feeling so sad and lonely. This is the furthest I have ever been from home, and the first time that Jenn and I have really lived apart. Its just a hard adjustment, esp since my roommate hasnt moved in and won't be here until tomorrow. Also, didn't help that I had no internet/cable set up yet. Luckily I had a couple movies from Netflix to fall asleep to. (finally watched Charlie St. Cloud- LOVE!)
This morning I woke up at 8:00- that's pretty much my idea of 'sleeping in' lately. I spent most of the morning finishing unpacking the kitchen stuff and hanging up my clothes. Also, spent the morning WAITING... waiting for the maintenance men to deliver/install our washer and dryer, and to fix out storage room door. AND waiting for the person from Cox to come set up our cable/internet.
The person from Cox was supposed to come between 12-2 so when he hadn't come by 2 i decided to give him a call. He proceeded to tell me that I had set up cable/internet through the power company and that since there was a work order already in progress for my address, he could not come set up internet and cable through cox. I told him that I had never set up int/cable through anyone else...to which he said "well you must have bc they have your information and everything"....CLICK.
I was not so happy about that. Had to come to Starbucks to use the wifi to look up the power company's information. Called them. and they could not find any information under my name/email/ssn/address for a cable/internet service... I called the guy from Cox back and got it straightened out that it was not me (weird, who ever set it up has the same last name as me so thats why he assumed it was me). But he said he would try to come by today and set it up for me...still waiting to hear back from him if he'll be able to fit me in.
Tonight I am looking forward to having dinner with my roommate from JMU- luckily she lives in Newport News so I will have a familiar face around :) that should help with the transition!
Then tomorrow, I'm heading to New Bern, NC for a wedding--and I will get to see my sis, Katie and Erica there :) Will be staying the night in NC with them and heading back here early on Sunday.
Should be a fun weekend :)
Hope you have a great weekend too!!
Friday, August 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment