Friday, January 6, 2012

trip to Newport News

On Wednesday, Jenn and I headed out early in the morning on a little road trip to Newport News.. We made a couple stops along the way. First up was Einstein's in Richmond to have brunch with our friend Kelly, and then we had to go to Williamsburg to the Brooks Brothers outlet to exchange a shirt Jenn had gotten for our brother and then we finally made it to our friend Alison's house around 2ish.
We made the trip so that I could look around the area and check out the Riverside Regional Medical Center and the Riverside Rehab Institute. I could be going there this Fall for a 3 month fieldwork placement. My professor wanted me to go look at the area before committing because apparently students from other schools have gone and then backed out because of the area.
The hospital was really nice and just a few minutes from CNU.. it was in a nice part of the town so i dont see that being a problem. The rehab institute was questionable though- the building itself was nice and we were able to go in and look at all the floors- it was pretty small..only 4 or 5 floors. I was disappointed that both of the Therapy Gyms were closed...seemed odd. I took a couple of pics of the place: it was right on the James River
Riverside Regional Medical Center

Riverside Rehabilitation Institute
RRI- right on the James River

Alison drove us all over and Newport News has so many cute shopping areas..the kinds with stores on the ground level and apartments on the upper levels. She took us to dinner at a reallly good pizza place and then we just hung out at her house on Wednesday evening and watched The Help...finally!!
On Thursday morning we got up and she drove us out to Yorktown beach..it was so cute with little shops
and a tiny beach area!
Yorktown Beach

Now...I just have to figure out if I really want to go there for my placement, and find a place to live..for 3 months! Luckily I have found one apartment complex that offers 3 month leases..that was the main thing that was stressing me out!! I just need to wait now until I get back to school and can talk to my professor and find out the specifics and the dates and then call the leasing office and see if it would work out! 

3 comments:

Emily said...

I have never been to Newport News but I think it would be a cool place to visit. I'm a new follower

Anonymous said...

I love Yorktown beach! It's sooo different from VA beach! Can't wait to hear where you're going!

Lindsey S said...

Sounds exciting! What is your major again?