Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First day of Level 1 Fieldwork // Bachelorette

[disclaimer- pretty wordy but hopefully you don't find this too boring]

I survived my first day. HALLELUJAH! For those that don't remember, I'm placed a state mental hospital. It was ...interesting!
When Kate (a girl in my class who is also placed there) and I got there this morning we had to sit and watch an orientation video..snoozefest...then we got to get our badges and keys (so we can go in and out of the units). After that we went with the COTA- certified OT assistant to treat a patient. She seriously about broke my heart. She was an older woman probably in her 70's and one second she would be smiling and the next she was crying her eyes out- and this happened about 5 times where she just started crying. It was so sad. She has been there for about a year and was admitted because she was becoming aggressive and forgetful and her husband could no longer care for her. The COTA said that he will sometimes come and visit her but she doesn't always know who he is and it really tears him up. That made me want to cry!
After that we went and sat in on the OT's treatment team meeting- which was ..eh not too interesting. I could just see the tension between the RN and one of the Therapists- it was so obvious and annoying how rude the therapist was- not verbally but non-verbal. ugh.
Once that was over we went to eat lunch and then took a tour of the "treatment mall" where all the therapy rooms are..and got to see their big greenhouses.
Next we sat in on a case study consultation- where a lot of doctors, nurses, and therapists were getting together to discuss one patient- and woman in her 60's who is have lots of behavioral issues. She has been in there since March- her 80+year old mother admitted her and was taking care of her but could no longer do so- they said when she first arrived the mom told the doctor's to "throw out their books" because she is unlike any patient they have seen before. The doctors/nurses said that she had been doing better and they were seeing a lot of progress until Friday. Apparently she choked on her breakfast and almost died and it was pretty traumatic for all involved. Now her behavior is at an all time worst and they seem to be out of options as to how to deal with her. It was very interesting to hear all of this information. After the meeting the OT we are with took us up to the unit she is on so that we could see and meet her. I was a little nervous but she was SO tiny but very vocal...she pointed at Kate and I and kept saying we were mean! eek.
After that the OT took us around the Geriatric unit and we visited a very funny elderly woman- she was just laughing and carrying out.. I'm gonna like her. I got a little sad because I could just see some of my Nana in her-because of the dementia/Alzheimers. But she was in good spirits!

One man we saw today- just briefly- is was admitted for NGRI (not guilty by reason of insanity) and the OT said that if we read his chart we would throw up! Now, I really want to get my hands on it..I'm so nosy about that stuff..I gotta know!

At the end of the day we sat in the nurses station and just read some charts and talked about the day.

All in all it was a pretty great day... I'm looking forward to a very interesting summer!
 **
totally switching gears here.. I know a lot of you were watching The Bachelorette last night- I saw you tweetin' :) My friend and her parents all told me that I reminded them of Ashley when she was on the Bachelor last season..and now I got to the hospital today and as soon as I met one of the staff ladies she told me I reminded her of the "Bachelorette that was on TV last night". It cracks me up bc I do not see it..but I take it as a compliment :)
I wont do any sort of recap since we all watch it but here are my favorite guys (not really in order)

 William
Blake
Ryan P

erg I am already annoyed by Ashley- for keeping Bentley around- seriously. #stupidgirl. But who are your favorites?? Oh and who's glad she lightened her hair??...I am! It looks so much better than when she dyed it really dark!

alright..enough for today-  and only 40 more min of work- holla!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

William and Blake are cute!!!!!!!!

Jenn W said...

i can't wait to hear all of these stories! makes me kinda wish i did more in psych to work in this place. hmm....second master's degree??

BelleinBows said...

Ashley is super cute so I'd take it as a compliment.
My favs are Ryan P, Jeff (the wine one), and JP.
She has a great selections so why is she keeping Bentley and Mask guy around?

Caitlin C. said...

William is my favorite!!! The moment I saw him.. I wanted to marry him haha. And yes, Ashley is already getting on my nerves!