this semester is going to kick my tail! I can already tell!
I'm really excited about a lot of the things we will be doing but dang, its going to be a LOT of work!
These are the classes I'm in this semester:
Human Development and Performance- should be pretty interesting- my prof said it is going to be similar to an under grad class I took called "Life Span and Human Development" but with a different spin more geared to Occupational Therapy. One assignment that I think will be really neat in this class is that a bunch of parents of kids with disabilities are coming in to have lunch with us and then we are going to be interviewing them to get a parent's perspective. I think it will be really interesting to hear their point of view- but I don't necessarily like interviews! Also for this class we get to go to a day care center and administer a screening to one cute little kiddie! I'm so excited to actually be doing something!
Clinical Inquiry- probably not going to be my favorite class! we have to build a big research project and then have a poster presentation at the end of the semester. we get to pick our topics but I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I'm thinking something with Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) or Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI)...I find both of those really interesting!
Contexts of Service Delivery- this will be pretty much an overview of all of the different settings that Occupational Therapists work in. I'm pretty interesting in learning more about the different settings since I have only observed in an Inpatient Rehab facility, an Elementary School and a Nursing Home. In this class we also have to develop a Community-based program and present it. That will probably be pretty challenging.
Psychosocial Occupational Therapy- this class is taught by the director of the program and another OT who works at a Mental Health Hospital. We get to go visit the hospital on Monday, and then a couple more times later in the semester and I think we get to lead a group therapy session which should be really neat! I haven't had any experience in Mental Health so I am a little nervous! especially since she said some of the patients are in there after committing crimes and were found innocent by reason of insanity! eek.
and last but not least..a practicum in a community based service. I'm with three other people and we are going to be working with an after school program at an elementary school! I'm really excited about this!
so..if you read that. I'm impressed.
One more day of classes until its the weeeekend! and I'm off from work tomorrow =) (but I still have to work on friday's =\ ).
I guess I better go and get started on my readings...my list is already getting long and its only week 1.... I hate reading textbooks!!
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I read it! Be impressed!
Human Development and Performance sounds interesting...
i never read text books...a bad habit..unless there a required papers straight from the textbooks. I havnt bought one textbook yet for my masters. this could be a problem..
girl, good luck with classes , they wore me out just reading about it!!!! i'll be thinking of you and praying for you!
enjoy your day off work tomorrow!
xx
Sounds like your weekend will be WELL deserved!! Good luck with all of your classes!!
Post a Comment