Monday, August 30, 2010

first day- orientation and work

Today was my first official day as a graduate student! (this might be boring- but it's more for me to remember!)
We had orientation for the OT program this morning at 9:00. I had to get to campus at 8 though to go buy a parking pass. I got there a little early and was waiting outside on the couches and I met up with a girl that I had met the night before- she is really nice! so we went in together. They had breakfast set up and it was just a time to "mingle" until everyone arrived and the faculty was ready to start. Once everyone got there we headed to another room and sat at tables of four. The director, Dr. Mitchell, spoke to us about the program and the course sequence.  He said that they are 100% committed to each one of the students, to get use through the program and in 3 years from now we will be sitting for and passing the national exam! (scary thought)
Then we did an activity to get to know each other a little better before all 4 of the faculty told us a little more about themselves and how they got into the OT field. Then we went around and each of us told how we decided on OT! 
After that 3 girls that are in the Student OT Association came in and spoke with us about the events that they are planning for the semester.
That's pretty much all we did! and we were done by 10:30!
I really like everyone I spoke with today- there are 4 people in my cohort that are from Roanoke- which is kindof neat! 

Also today, I had to work in the TRC- the "teacher's library" - (it's my GA position) from 5-9 and close up the place. It was pretty boring tonight- I just learned all of my responsibilities and met two of the undergrad student workers. Its funny how much more the undergrads have to do than me. I think it will be better once the semester gets going and people are actually using the library and checking out materials more...that will keep me from being so bored!

All in all- it was a pretty great day! Tomorrow is the first actual day of classes and I start with Anatomy in the morning- woo woo! I love anatomy but it's going to be crazy how much of it that I have forgotten since I took it my junior year of undergrad.

hope ya'll had a good Monday (=

4 comments:

Kate said...

GOOD LUCK WITH CLASSES!!! Anatomy-eek!

Kaleena J. said...

I did have a great Monday :-) and i'm happy to hear you did too. It sounds like you will really like grad school with all the new friendly people.

Leslie said...

Good luck with your classes!!

Allison said...

Congrats! I'm glad you're enjoying your time at school and are having fun learning! I hope the rest of your week goes just as swimmingly. :)