Sunday, June 6, 2010

Above all else...

"Above all else, 
GUARD YOUR HEART, 
for it is the wellspring of life."
Proverbs 4:23


That is probably one of my favorite verses. it just hits home with me. 
I have not been one to guard my heart. at all. 
I give it away too easily, let people in too soon, open up too much
I expect the same back, but that doesn't always happen.

When a new guy comes along..
I tend to 'put all my eggs in one basket' 
then when its time to move on cause he obviously isn't the one I am supposed to be with- 
I end up leaving an 'egg' behind... 
giving a little piece of my heart away, 
     - a piece I won't be able to get back.

Now, I'm not saying I fall in love with every guy I ever meet, 
   ...I'm not even certain that I have ever even really been in love-
but there were times I have thought  "Hmm..could this be him, the one that will last?"
obviously not, as I am still alone, and flyin' solo...
(which is getting really old, but this isn't supposed to be a pity party post)

I am realizing this is not fair to the man that God has planned for me to marry- I need to guard my heart, so that one day, when I finally do meet Mr. Right- I will have a whole heart, full of love waiting to give away to the one who will accept it, and protect it...

It is definitely easier said than done...and I'm a work in progress

***
"Darling did you know that I
I dream about you
Waiting for the look in your eyes
When we meet for the first time
...
Darling did you know that I
I pray about you
Praying that you will hold on
And keep your loving eyes only for me
 ...
Darling did you know I dream about life together
Knowing it will be forever
I'll be yours and you'll be mine
And darling when I say
Till death do us part
I'll mean it with all of my heart

Now and always faithful to you
"
-Rebecca St.James 
***

2 comments:

Laura said...

Love this post. I especially like the line in the song where it talks about praying for your future husband/wife. I remember hearing in elementary school that we should pray for the person that we are going to marry, even if we don't know who they are at the time. I love thinking about that and I do it a lot! I hope whoever he is, he is praying for me too! Guarding your heart might be hard now...it is for me too...but I'm sure it will be so worth it in the end!!

Anonymous said...

Love that song, and love this post! I'm in the same place right now - just trying to figure out how to guard my heart from racing to assumptions it shouldn't really be making.