Monday, April 12, 2010

crazy weekend! (riot)

*my computer isn't working at the moment...well the internet isn't working so its basically useless ha.. I woke up yesterday morning with error messages about 'wireless network adapter' not working.. who knows. SO with that said ..I will have to wait until its back up and running to post some pictures from the weekend- hopefully it's soon*

Friday- Jenn, Maria and I worked SafeRides for the very last time! (it was kindof sad!) For those of you who don't know what SafeRides is...It is a student organization here at JMU..we provide free rides home on Friday and Satuday nights from 10p-3a. Most common question: Do you get paid? No, we don't . it's voluntary!  We did a scavenger hunt between all 4 cars- me and my navigator came in second place! but It was verry interesting to say the least!

Saturday- some friends from home were up here visiting for the weekend because they had a softball tournament up here saturday so we spend pretty much the entire day watching their games! It was fun tho! Then that night we just hung out around the apartment for a while..and the guys when out... I was going to but ended up staying in.

Now for the crazy part! So this weekend is the biggest party weekend here at JMU- tons of people from other schools all visit this weekend for Springfest on Friday and a big block party on Saturday. It happens EVERY year but this year was OUT. OF. CONTROL.
This is such an embarrassment to our school and I can't believe this happened. Dr. Rose ( our schools' president) sent out an email to all of the students yesterday -I imagine he is getting a lot of back lash from what happened. He is very disappointed in those that were involved in the riot. A lot of people were hurt with minor injuries from people throwing bottles, also many car windows and apartment windows were broken. People even through bottles at police officers! The police and many other law enforcement divisions were involved, throwing tear gas into the crowds and shooting rubber pellets at people. It is just so terrible that things got so bad To top things off today is CHOICES -when tons of prospective students and their families come to JMU and our school newspaper's front page was a huge picture of one of the dumpster fires. And apparently some of the professors here are giving their classes and ear full about how they feel about what went on this weekend

 words can't do it justice..check out these videos:



Im SO glad I was not there

***

okay on to a more positive note for me.
Today, I had a meeting with the Director of the OT Graduate program to see what I can improve on for re-applying next year. He said that I was a competitive applicant...myessay was good, I couldn't have picked better recommendations, my gpa was good.. although I had a 2 c's so that was probably the main thing. He asked me what my plans were as of now and I told him I was still waiting to hear from one other school but that the applications werent due until the middle of May. He went right on that schools website to the OT program and turns out he went to school with the director  of the other school's program. He sent the director an email explaining my situation  and that I am number one of the waiting list at JMU right now.. He said he highly recommends that I be accepted into their Master's program. I was so shocked that he would do that- and SO VERY appreciative!!
Now..just more waiting, and being hopeful! (:

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow that riot looks crazy! We had a huge one here last year during football season...we beat Ohio State at their stadium, and everyone here went crazy. There was so much damage done, and so many people were hurt, and it really put Penn State in a bad light for a long time. I don't get why people have to take something that should be fun and ruin things for everyone!! Some people....ugh! Haha!

Anyway though I hope you get good news about grad school soon!!