Tuesday, November 10, 2009

announcement! and some more serious news

We just  found out today who is going to be speaking at our Commencement ceremony in May- Blake from TOMS shoes! He's the founder and chief shoe giver- how cool is that?! I'm actually pretty impressed with this choice!

oh, and before I get into the serious stuff about today- Erica found John Mayer's new cd: Battle Studies: online last night and put it on my Ipod- it's pretty good! I think I like Continuum better but he really never fails! (=


-----
Today is the memorial service for the victims of the shooting at Foot Hood, Texas. Pres.Obama is supposed to be speaking- should be starting any minute now. I feel so bad for all of those victims and the families. The shooter was said to be dead at the scene, but he is still alive- I hope he gives answers, as to his motives and all of the things that would lead up to this. His cousin was on the news last week and said he just wants everyone to know that the shooter is a "good American"... um, how about no? This is exactly how a "good American" behaves. I'll be interested to see what happens at his trial.

Also, the DC Sniper is receiving his death penalty tonight- at 9p.m.(He terrorized VA, MD and Washington DC in 2002, shooting people while they were doing everyday activities, like pumping gas. he murdered 10 people) Apparently he was asking Gov. Kaine to suspend it while he appeals on the basis on insanity- or something of that nature- but Kaine denied it, so today is his last day.
This is crazy to me. Can you even begin to imagine what you would do if you knew at 9pm tonight, you would taking your last breath?? Of course, my life won't be ending like his will- by lethal injection- but if I did somehow know that it was my last day I would make sure that each and every person I love, knows how much they mean to me. I can't really think of a good way to spend your last day, other than with the people you love, enjoying every last second.

No comments: