Saturday, June 13, 2009

summer reading

Summer reading list-

1. After This by Marcus Engel- This was the first book I read at the beginning of the summer. Marcus came and spoke at JMU for SafeRides's ONOROL event. He is a victim of a drunk driving accident and was left blind because of someone's reckless decisions. This is a true story of his life and what he went through as a result of the crash. Definitely an eye opener and teaches you not to take life for granted and to "change the things you can, and don't worry about the rest". He is definitely an inspiration.

2. The Choice by Nicholas Sparks-- Very good!!- made me cry for the last couple chapters. I love books that tug at my heart strings. Travis meets his neighbor and they end up falling in love, getting married, have kids and then at the end there is a car accident and leaves Gabby in a coma, she had signed a form that says after so many weeks in a coma she wanted him to let her go, but when that time comes he can't do it so he rips up the papers, a few more weeks pass and she miraculously wakes up and they live happily ever after! Nicholas Sparks never fails.

3. If I am Missing or Dead by Janine Latus- wow, I cannot imagine a life like she lived. It was a true story of her life, and ultimately her sister's murder. She was in many bad, abusive relationships with men-thinking her body was all that they wanted and that it was her fault she was being abused. Near the end she realizes she deserves better and gets a divorce from her husband. Her sister is in a dead-end relationship with a criminal and he ends up killing her.

4. One Reckless Summer by Toni Blake- HOLY MOLY. I have read almost half of this book so far- wow it feels like I'm reading porn, it makes me blush sometimes. By reading the cover I would not have thought it was have this content. So far, "good girl" Jenny's husband has cheated on her and they got a divorce so she ends up back in her hometown for the summer to clear her head. One night she goes across the lake to where the Brody family used to live- they had a bad rep in the whole town and have been in trouble with the law many times, she goes over there to look at the stars but runs into Mick Brody- and they sexcapades start in the woods. He has a huge secret and she can't tell anyone that he is back living here (everyone thought they had abandoned their house a long time ago-- but Mick's brother escaped prison and is dying of a brain tumor and Mick is helping him out. ...(thats all so far) .... I just finished this book! I actually really liked it, once I got passed all the erotic details haha it was a good story.

5. Baby Proof by Emily Griffin- This took me a long time to finish--but I finally did tonight-- Maybe because I have been a lot busier lately, It wasn't really a slow read I just had trouble finding time to sit down and read it! It was good tho! It was about a woman, Claudia who does not want children and thinks that she has found the perfect guy, Ben, who also doesn't want kids. They get married and then Ben starts changing his mind on the baby-issue. They get a divorce and go on their separate ways but can't seem to let go of each other and what they had. Claudia starts dating another man, and she thinks that Ben is moving on also, In the end they come back to their one true love.

8. My Sister's Keeper by Judi Picoult
7. The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
8. Captivating by John/Stasi Eldredge

(this will be added to as I find more! )

No comments: