Thursday, August 12, 2010

Last day volunteering

so for the past few weeks I have been volunteering at the camp that my sister works at- its for kids with developmental disabilities (as i think i have mentioned before)
last night all the staff + me the volunteer went out for dinner/drinks at a mexican restaurant and it was really fun! one of the supervisors kept buying shorts for whoever wanted them- her tab was $108 when she was done! crazy!
During dinner everyone was given a picture frame that had a picture of them with a camper and on the side it had a quote.. i was so surprised that I got one but it was really thoughtful- I love the picture that was put in my frame.

Today was the last day of camp and my last day volunteering. We headed to the pool at like 9 this morning- stayed out there til around 10:30/11 then came inside and a lot of the campers' parents came and we had a big lunch, showed a slide-show of pictures from the summer and gave out superlatives to each camper. then some of the campers left with their parents and some hung out and swam for a while longer.
During the Luau they had a face painter come and I got pressured into this:

I showed her a picture of JMU's mascot- the Duke Dog:
haha yeah, not so much! but we had some good laughs from it.  and luckily it washed off fairly easily!

ha this morning at the outdoor pool/waterpark I was supposed to be watching this little guy- he is hm, around 8 or 9 and has down syndrome- well I couldnt find him and was looking all around the pool and all the sudden he falls out of the bowl slide! (its a slide that ends up in a huge round bowl that you spin around in before dropping out the hole in the bottom) I was like freakin' out inside because he is definitely not even tall enough to go down it- obviously the lifeguards don't pay attention to that! but he ran up the stairs to do it again- luckily we caught him before he had the chance to go down it! whew!


I know I have only been around these kids for a few weeks but I am gonna miss them! Especially this one little guy with CP- he is absolutely precious- his smile melts my heart and his cry breaks it. I was tearing up a bit when he was about to leave.  Luckily he is going to be in the supervisors class this school year (she's a special education teacher) so we can go visit her class and see him! [I wish I could show pictures of the him and some of the other campers- but the confidentiality policies won't let me!]

kk. time for the LAST episode of Boston Med- have any of you been watching this show this summer? I love it!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like you had a great last day!

Anonymous said...

hah. LOVE the face paint. :)