Recently, I have came across a blog online about a little boy named Gavin Owens (www.gavinowens.com). He is three years old and has been fighting for his life since he took his first breath. He has mitochondrial disease and his parents are letting him end his fight, letting him receive his final reward-complete peace. He has been declining over the past year and they readjusted their approach to his care- to keep him comfortable and pain free at all costs. Two days ago, they took him off of the bipap machine (one that assists with breathing) thinking it would be his final moments short after, but he has been hanging on for two days- suffering and struggling to breathe- and his parents are just watching his gradual decline. today they are taking him off all fluids- they said "we know our Gavin is gone- we are just waiting for his body to follow". They are so much faith and grace and for the past few days I have been tryin to put myself in their position- wondering how I would behave and cope if it in the future I am faced with a child with medical issues- would I be that strong? I guess you just do what you have to do to help your child and give them a good quality of life- not quantity.
I read about two years worth of their blog in two days- I was so drawn in and my heart was breaking as I was reading it- no child-no parents should have to live through this and make the kinds of decisions they have had to in the past three years of their sweet little boy's life.
As I was reading the blog of the past month, the tears just flowed and my heart go so heavy. How can I take so much for granted?! This family lives everyday like it could be their last- and here I am spending much of my time worried about what I am going to do in the future. No one is guaranteed a tomorrow, not you and not me.
I want things to change in my life-
"You told me not to worry about what lies ahead, so I am gonna focus on today instead...I'm gonna live for today, following Your ways- gonna let my little light shine like there's no tomorrow.."-Natalie Grant
*update on Gavin*
he passed away last night around 10:45- "snuggled up between mommy and daddy"
so precious.
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment