Monday, April 20, 2009

2 and 10 year anniversaries

Of Columbine. The shooting happened 10 years ago today. It is crazy that 10 years has gone by since that horrible incident. Although I was in 6th grade and I didn't fully understand the reality of situation I am sad for those that are mourning the past ten years they've spent without their loved ones, and I'm very thankful this has not happened to my school.

Last week was the 2 year anniversary of the Virginia Tech shooting. JMU did not really do much for this day, expect a Candlelight vigil at night but I don't think that a lot of people attended. While I don't remember much about the Columbine shooting, I remember everything I felt in the moments/days/weeks following the Tech massacre. I was terrified, paranoid and a whole host of emotions! I would lie awake in my dorm room just listening in the hallways for any sounds that were unfamiliar. All the times before this when it was late at night and the girls from down the hall were being loud I became annoyed, but after this tragedy, I found comfort in their laughs and voices, knowing that I was not the only one awake.
I remember one night I was so scared at around 3a.m. I just went to the bathroom and cried and called my mom because I could not fall asleep. My mind raced with thoughts for the next week or so and I even made a plan for our room how to barracade the door, (I also did this last year in my dorm, I had everything figured out, where every piece of furnature would be placed so that the door was blocked). I slowly began to snap out of the paranoia and was able to sleep at night as the days passed and put space between me and the massacre.

Just keep all the familes of the victims in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: